IPAF - LOAD & UNLOAD
IPAF - The International Powered Access Federation (IPAF) is the leading accrediting body and authority for mobile elevated work platforms (MEWPs).
The IPAF Load and Unload Course delivers a minimum of 7 hours of both classroom and practical instruction for the safe loading and unloading of MEWPs on beaver tail and slide bed transport vehicles. Loading and unloading should be carried out by trained and competent staff who are aware of the risks involved. Drivers should also be aware of the additional risk of the load, or part of the load, it's distribution, moving when the vehicle is being driven. This applies to all vehicles and to all types of load. The driver is ultimately responsible for the load carried on their vehicle, whether or not they were involved in the securing of the load.
This course is aimed at delegates who are or will be responsible for loading and unloading MEWPs, for which the operator holds the appropriate licence. All operators must have satisfactorily completed a recognised Operator's course and should hold a valid licence for the relevant categories of plant (e.g. forklift, MEWP, dumper) OR the employer must provide written evidence of competency of plant operation before starting the course. In addition, they should hold a current driving licence.
Successful delegates will gain an understanding of current relevant legislation and best practice on a range of MEWPs and be able to safely load and unload plant and MEWPs, in line with current approved methods and manufacturer’s instructions.
The course agenda includes:
- Introduction to IPAF and MEWPs
- Health & Safety legislation & regulations
- Limitations and use of mobile elevating work platforms
- Identifying controls, safety devices and warning alarms
- Hazards associated with transporting access and plant machinery
- Responsibilities and associated legislation
- Safe procedures for loading and unloading
- Inspections and transport related risk assessments
- Correctly position the vehicle for the task in hand
- Methods of safely and securely load and unload plant
- Multiple choice test paper
- Practical Assessment
Successful candidates will receive a certificate of training, a ‘smart’ photo-ID card (both valid for 5 years), and a log book to keep a record of operating experience
This course consists of an instructor led training room presentation, written assessment, practical training and assessment.
Unfortunately this is not currently available as an eLearning course
All delegates wishing to attend the IPAF Load & Unload training course must have successfully passed the IPAF Operator Course prior to attending and hold a valid IPAF PAL Operator Card in the category they wish to be trained to load and unload.
You will need to bring suitable PPE including
- Safety Footwear,
- Safety Helmet and chin strap
- Hi-Visibility vest or coat.
- Warm clothing should also be brought in cold weather.
- Where harnesses are necessary (normally with any boom-type machine) we can either lend you one on the day, or you can buy one as part of the MEWP Operators Safety Kit.
PLEASE NOTE: You may be refused entry onto the course practical if you do not have the appropriate PPE
This course is run in English. Anyone attending this course must be able to read and understand safety notices, course literature, test questions and answers, verbal instructions and manufacturer’s instruction manuals.
This need not preclude anyone from attending providing adequate measures can be put into place to take account of any difficulties, in some instances and interpretor can be present during the training.
They should also be reasonably fit and in good health, with no uncorrected issues likely to endanger or hinder themselves, or anyone else at the training venue. have no problems with eyesight or hearing,fear of heights, or be under the influence of alcohol or drugs
If you have any doubts, please call the training department on 0333 666 1881 and we will advise you as to what we are able to offer.