PASMA - Working At Height (Novice)
Work at Height (Novice)- An introduction to height safety
Duration: Half day
Is working at height all new to you? Have you changed job and suddenly you’re supposed to know what equipment is available, what inspections need done and how to keep yourself and others safe?
This course won’t teach you everything you need to know – you'd need longer than half a day for that! – but we promise you’ll go home with a clear understanding of your responsibilities and an action plan for what you need to do next.
PASMA Work at Height (Novice) is the training course you need to get up to speed on the basics of height safety. Spend half a day at an approved PASMA training centre with an expert instructor and go back to work knowing:
- How to comply with your duties under the Work at Height Regulations
- What access equipment is available
- What training and guidance is available for working at height
Although it’s a PASMA course, it’s not all about mobile access towers. It covers the whole range of access equipment, thanks to specialist input from our friends in the Access Industry Forum. There is no practical work involved in this course; it’s all classroom-based theory. No hard hats or tower climbing required!
In this theory-based course, you will learn about:
- Law, regulations, guidance and good practice relating to work at height
- An employee’s responsibilities
- What guidance and training is available
- Risk assessments
- Emergency and rescue planning
- Inspecting equipment
- Where to find crucial safety information
- Different types of access equipment
- Selecting appropriate access equipment
- Personal Protection Equipment
- Working on roofs
- Fragile surfaces
- Fall protection
Your training instructor will give you an electronic or printed copy of the course notes that you can refer back to.
On successfully completing this course, you’ll receive a PASMA PhotoCard and Certificate. These will show that you’re trained in category ‘W’, which stands for Work at Height (Novice).
This course is aimed at anyone who works at height, in any sector, and particularly those who are new to it.
- Aimed at: Users
- Duration: Half day
- Experience required: None
- PPE: None
- Maximum class size: 12
- Qualification length: 5 years (this may vary regionally)
- e-Learning available: no
- Remote training available: check with training centre
- On-site training available: check with training centre
- Course syllabus: download
- Theory assessment
- Multiple choice
- 80% pass mark